Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Early Alexandria Store Fronts

Opera House and Rapides Club. 3rd Street. Alexandria, La.
Postcard from about 1906.
Another postcard dated 1906. A second view of the Rapides Theatre and Club.
City Drug Store. Circa: 1905-10.
Joseph M. Goldberg. The Jeweler.
Third Street, Alexandria. Dated 1916.
Alexandria Ice and Cold Storage. Located on Gould Avenue.
Later to be renamed Rapides Avenue. Dated 1907.
This company would become Central Louisiana Electric Company as time progressed.
The Sonia Ginnery. Cotton Gin.
Postcard from about 1909.
Nick Velotta's Grocery. 1910-15 photo postcard.
Store was located on Gould Avenue.  Today known as Rapides Avenue.
 

Simon Brothers Department Store on Third Street.
This card is from about the 1912-15 time period.
Simon Brothers would later become Wellan's Department Store.
This is the front entrance to Simon Brothers.
In later years, Wellan's would have Christmas displays in the
front windows of this entrance.
This postcard was mailed in 1915.
   The Woodmen's of the World Building located at the corner
of 6th Street and Jackson Street. It later became the Baptist Book Store building.
This card is from the 1920's.
The Commercial Bank and Trust Company. 3rd Street. Alexandria.
In later years converted into an office building as it stands today.
This postcard is from about 1925.
C.A.  Schnack Jewelry Company. 924 Third Street.
This card is from about 1925-30.
Today this building houses the Diamond Grill restaurant.
Interior  view of the C.A. Schnack Jewelry Co.
This postcard is also from the 1925-30 time period.
Entrance to the Schnack Gift Shop, 316 Murray Street.
Postcard Circa: 1940's. This building no longer stands.
The Guaranty Bank & Trust Company as viewed from the Murray
Street Bridge. This is a postcard from the 1940's. At the corner of 3rd & Murray.
The Bottle House Gift Shop. Built from glass bottles and brick.
1128 Bolton Avenue. This card is postmarked 1951.
The interior of Mack's Waffle House. 2nd Street & Johnson Street.
Alexandria, La.  This postcard is from the 1940's.
The inside view of the Columbia Cafe, located at 417 Murray St.
Famous for KC Steaks and Sea food.
1950's Postcard.
The American Grill. Private dining cave. 728 Lee Street.
Interior view. Early 1950's Postcard.
Allen Wallpaper and Glass. Located on Lee Street.
This card was mailed in 1942.
Grandmaw's House Restaurant. Leesville Highway. Alexandria.
 Circa 1970's